How Layoffs Would Affect Your School
Emily Alpert, voiceofsandiego.org
Schooled: The Education Blog
I created this interactive map that shows what percentage of educators could be laid off at different schools. Just click on your local school to find out how many would get pink slips if the San Diego Unified school board decides to send them Thursday.
- red schools would get pink slips for 30 percent or more of their teachers, counselors and other educators.
- orange schools fall between 20 and 30 percent
- yellow ones between 10 and 20 percent
- green ones below 10 percent
- blue schools have no educators slated to be laid off
Last week, I saw SDUSD board member Richard Barrera talk last week. What I remember most about his part of the panel on education he spoke about was how he had went to the City Council, hat in hand, and ask them for a fraction of the money that the city will get for downtown redevelopment.
So this is it, San Diego: You get a new football stadium and a convention center expansion, but your kids don’t get quality education, parks to play in or libraries to study in.